Skip to main content

JBC - Enrollment of Students

Identification of Students
All students enrolling in the district for the first time shall provide required proof of identity. Students enrolling in kindergarten or first grade shall provide a copy of their birth certificate. Students enrolling in grades 2-12 shall
provide a certified transcript or similar pupil records. Other documentation which the board determines to be satisfactory may be provided.

Enrollment Information
The enrollment documentation shall include a student’s permanent record card with a student’s legal name as it appears on the birth certificate, or as changed by a court order and the name, address, and telephone number of the lawful custodian. The records shall also provide the identity of the student as evidenced by a certified birth certificate, copy of a court order placing the student in the custody of the Kansas Department for Children and Families, a certified transcript of the student, a baptismal certificate, or other documentation the board considers satisfactory. If proper proof of identity is not provided within 30 days of enrolling, the superintendent shall notify local law enforcement officials as required by law and shall not notify any person claiming custody of the child.

Resident Students
A resident student is any child who has attained the age of eligibility for school attendance and lives with a parent or a person acting as a parent that is a resident of the district. Children who are homeless as defined by Kansas law
and reside in the district will be admitted as resident students. For purposes of this policy, parent means the natural parents, adoptive parents, stepparents and foster parents. For purposes of this policy, person acting as a parent means a guardian or conservator, a person liable by law to care for and support the child, a person who has actual care and control of the child and provides a major portion of support or a person who has actual care and control of the child with written consent of a person who has legal custody of the child.

Non-resident Students
Non-resident students are those who do not meet the definition of a resident student. Non- resident students may be admitted only to the extent that staff, facilities, equipment, and supplies are available. Generally no more than 100 non-resident students will be accepted each year. The superintendent shall annually review the limit of non-resident students and if needed may make adjustment recommendations to the board of education for approval.
A non-resident student who has been suspended or expelled from another district will not be admitted to the district unless approved by the receiving building principal.
Non-resident students must be approved for enrollment by the superintendent of schools or designee. The superintendent may deny enrollment of non-resident students if classroom space is determined to be unavailable.
The superintendent’s decision regarding space availability is final.

Assignment to a School Building, Grade Level, or Classes
The superintendent shall assign students to the appropriate building. Any student desiring to attend a school outside the attendance area in which the student resides may do so only with the prior written permission of the superintendent. Assignment to a particular grade level or particular classes shall be determined by the building principal based on the educational abilities of the student. If the parents disagree, the principal’s decision may be appealed to the superintendent. If the parents are still dissatisfied with the assignment, they may appeal in writing to the board.

Students shall be assigned to the appropriate school building according to designated school attendance areas as adopted by the board for resident students. Non-resident students shall be assigned to school attendance centers based on space availability as determined by the superintendent or designee.

A student’s assigned school is determined by the student’s legal residence within the established boundaries of each school attendance area in Goddard School District. Students who live in the Goddard School District and go to a childcare provider located within their assigned school boundary may be transported to/from the childcare provider to/from the child’s school.

Students in grades pre-K through 8 who move mid-year from their current residential school attendance area may continue in the same school until the end of the school year if the parents provide transportation for the student. At the end of the school year in which the student moves, the student must be enrolled in the appropriate school for the attendance area in which they are currently living.

Students entering high school will enroll in the USD 265 high school as determined by the student’s legal residence within the established boundaries of the high school attendance area. Once a student in grades 9-12 has enrolled in
and attended a USD 265 high school, that high school shall be designated as their “home school.” Should the high school student move out of the school attendance area for the “home school” during the time they are enrolled in their “home school,” the student will be allowed to continue enrollment at their “home school” regardless of their residence address. Transportation to/from school will be provided only to students who reside within the school attendance area of the “home school.”

Partial Enrollment
Goddard USD 265 permits partial enrollment in specific classes by resident students, with permission of the superintendent, under the following terms and conditions:
 Partial enrollment in specific classes by resident students is permitted with permission of the superintendent provided that staff, equipment, services, and supplies are available, such availability will be determined in the sole discretion of the superintendent.
 The parent/guardian of a private/home school student must provide evidence of registration of their school with the Kansas State Department of Education at the time of application. Transportation will be the responsibility of the resident seeking enrollment. Students in grades 7-12 must meet all requirements of the Kansas State High School Activities Association in order to participate in interscholastic competition.

Continuous Enrollment
Students who have moved their primary residence from the district or have been admitted through open enrollment, and have continued enrollment and attend Goddard Public Schools on an uninterrupted basis will be allowed to continue enrollment if they meet all of the following requirements:

  • The student’s attendance record remains uninterrupted (the student has neither enrolled in another district for even one day nor dropped from the Goddard school attendance center enrollment);
  • The student exhibits good citizenship standards as determined by the administrative staff at the assigned attendance center, in accordance with BOE Policy JCDA on the behavior code;
  • The student is regarded to be in good academic standing and is making acceptable progress toward promotion, graduation, and/or IEP goals;
  • Non-resident students or the family of non-resident students must provide transportation to and from the assigned school; and
  • When applicable, a new IEP will be written upon enrollment.

District administrators will determine if the above requirements are met as described.

Transferring Credit
In the middle school and in the senior high school level, full faith and credit shall be given to units earned in other accredited schools at the time the student enrolls in the district, unless the principal determines there is valid reason for not doing so. For online credit approval procedures after enrollment, see board policy IIBGB.

Transfers from Non-Accredited Schools
Students transferring from non-accredited schools will be placed by the principal. Initial placement will be made by the principal after consultation with parents or guardians and guidance personnel. Final placement shall be
made by the principal based on the student’s documented past educational experiences and performance on tests administered to determine grade level placement.

Students, transferring from non-accredited schools shall be tested to determine grade level placement. Criteria for final placement shall include an official transcript and proof of successful performance and/or examination at the level of initial assignment.

Courses from non-accredited schools will not be accepted unless an identical or equivalent course is offered at the USD 265 district high school or middle school. If the principal has reason to believe a student has not mastered a course offered by the non-accredited school, or if the student wishes to use the course grade to compute final grade point average for graduation, the transferring student shall be asked to complete a final examination from that course and achieve a passing grade or an equivalent grade for the purpose of computing a final grade point average. In order for a student from a non-accredited school to qualify for academic honors at graduation, he/she must complete two twelfth grade semesters at Goddard High School.

Enrollment Procedures
The district shall establish orderly enrollment for all students. The procedure shall include pre-enrollment, changes in enrollment, normal enrollment times, and communication with parents and the public.
School Choice for Goddard Employees
When conflict exists between this policy and board policy JBCB with regard to enrollment of children of Goddard school district employees, shall control. For children of substitute teachers, JBCB shall not apply, and this policy will control.
Approved: 05/2016

District Calendar